Bastianclan

Bastianclan

Monday, December 15, 2014

Queen Creek Olive Mill

Our next adventure was going to the Olive Mill.  Mom and I went to use the bathroom and as we passed
the hall I saw this picture of Michael Rowe from Dirty Jobs.  I had to take the picture to show the kids. 

I wanted Jeremy to see this yucky Marsarpone.  Horseradish YUCK!!!!

A majestic Olive tree.  

This grove is pattered after a traditional grove in Italy. I can't wait to go to Italy.

I think this place would be beautiful at night with the white lights.

Did you know that olives are a fruit?
Queen Creek Olive mill has over 16 different kinds of olives

Ashley's mom, Ashley, Norma, Tina at the traditional olive groves.

This farm specializes in making everything themselves  from the garlic and herbs to all the fruits.
"From Blossom to Bottle" is their motto. 

They just planted a bunch of citrus trees.

Harvesting Olives can be kind of tricky to get just the right oil.
Olives have to be pressed within 24 hours of harvesting.
The olives start in a water bath to clean off dirt and dust.  They are then put in this green machine for the first pressing.
They even grind up all the skins and seeds to make a paste.  This machine does 2.5 tons of olives per hour.  
The paste is then blended very slowly for up to 40 minutes
 in a large mixer notice the spiral mixing blades. 

The big containers in the back store the oil.  They also use these containers
to infuse the oil with their garlic, herbs, etc...  

Ashely and Tina with the owner of the mill and the worker that was on Dirty Jobs.

0 comments: