Bastianclan

Bastianclan

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Cologne Christmas Market

 Jeremy and I were so excited to finally make it to the Cologne Christmas Market we had heard good things about how amazing it is. The last time I was in Cologne was when Brooklyn and I came to Cologne the first year we were in Germany for a girls weekend to see Taylor Swift.  Jeremy had never been to Cologne. The kids were all busy today two were babysitting and the other was at a friends so Jer and I drove the 2 1/2 hours to Cologne.

This was our view as we came into town.

Look at this amazing Cathedral. 
Cologne has four main Chrisitm markets.
Kolner Dom (Cologne Cathedral), Heimat Der Heinzel (Old Town), Schokolanden- museum (Chocolate Museum), and Newmartkt (New market)  They offered a Wihnachtsmarkt express aka a train that takes you to all the different markets.  So for 20 euro we got to ride the train and hit all 4 markets.  They were not super close together so it was nice to sit in a nice warm train and rest our legs and get warm as we traveled to the next market. 

The first area we explored was the Cologne Cathedral.  This is exactly how the market looks.  It was pretty impressive.
With 150 red roof stalls filled with food and Christmas gifts all at the foot of the Beautiful Cathedral. Some of the stalls were under a tent of lights it was magical.  Well done, Cologne, well done!!!!

Add caption

Here Jeremy and I in front of the Cathedral Christmas market.

The Nativity scene at the Dome

The huge tree with the blanket of ligths





So the treat we had at this market was salmon cooked by the fire.
Well I shouldn't say we.  The treat JEREMY had was SALMON.

Doesn't it look scrumptious?  

My sweetie was super happy and he thought it was delicious.
I will take your word babe.  

Isn't this picture perfect.  

Majestic Cologne Cathedral


Tina and Jermey at the Cologne Christmas Market.
I love you Bastian!

how cool is this light tent?  It was so cool.


This was some of the best entertainment we have seen at the markets.
This group not only sounded amazing they were so funny.
The entire crowd and there was a huge crowd danced and sang along with them.
It was a party.  I wanted to just stay and enjoy this outdoor concert. 

This is by far the most crowded Christmas market we have been too.
I was so crazy, so many people.  People were pushing you on all different sides.  It was a bit insane but totally worth the fun of the market.  I would totally do it again.  Even with half of Germany.  

This is the second Market Heimat Der Heinzel (Old Town) and it was super cool.  There were all kinds of gnomes everywhere and this market was just fun, it had a ferris wheel and an Ice ring and was almost as big as the Dome.  The food we got to try here was meat on a stick we bought a chicken one and a pork one.  They were both so tasty.  YUMMM  We also got some homemade hard candy for the kids stockings from a vender who made it right in front of us.  That was cool.  He even let us sample them.








Here we are at the third market Schokoladen museum (chocolate museum) this was the smallest of the markets.  We didn't try anything here.  The museum is pretty cool but we just didn't have time to do the markets and the museum.  We did get to watch some cool acrobats on the bridge.  I just love all the street performers.






How beautiful is Cologne at night? 

Here is a picture of the train.
Our last Christmas market for the night is Neumarkt (New Market)  it was definitely more modern and had a new feel to it.  It was so magical with all the lights hanging from all the trees.


0 comments: