Bastianclan

Bastianclan

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Cruise Day 5, Roatan, Honduras

Today when we woke up we were in Roatan, Honduras.
This is our last port on the cruise.  Sad :-(
Jeremy and I decided we wanted to get off and explore.
We invited the kids to join us.  However, Brooklyn was still sleeping and opted to sleep more and go to Honduras with
Grandma & Grandpa later in the day. Kayden was invited to hang out with Aunt Britany.  Chandler, of course, wanted to go to Kids Club, Surprise, Surprise!  So Off Jeremy and I went to explore Honduras. 

As we got off the ship it was raining.  It wasn't pouring rain just a little drizzle.
I immediately fell in love with Honduras.  It was just beautiful. I think this was my favorite port for sure.

As Jeremy and I were exploring the port. We decided to rent a car and a driver.  So for $60.00 We got a car and a driver all day long.  Our driver was awesome.  He knew exactly where to take us.  He would stop and let us get out and let us take all the pictures we wanted and explore the area.  He would wait for us to finish exploring and then continue taking us on our tour. It was the best way to explore Honduras.
 He did all the driving.  He knew of all the cool places to go. It was perfect. 
The first place our driver took us was onto one of their hills for this amazing view.
Honduras was Beautiful.  It was still raining a little and Jeremy and I were both in flip flops.
All the roads were dirt.  So we ended up getting muddy.  But the views were totally worth it.  
Our Sweet driver even took a picture of us.  What a nice Guy. 

How pretty is the ocean?  Look how green everything is.  

It was kind of sad to see the poverty here in Honduras.  We drove on a lot of dirt roads with houses that were falling apart.
The children were playing in the road.  We even met some kids that were trying to make money.
The kids didn't even move when the cars came.  It made me kind of nervous.  But our driver just kept moving. It's like they have done this 1,000 times.  It didn't faze either one of them.  
Our driver took us to this little zoo.  We could have gone zipling  as well  but we opted to just hold the monkey's and visit the butterfly house. So for $20.00 We got a private tour of the zoo and we got to hold monkeys. It was Awesome!
This Capuchin Monkey was free roaming and just plopped down on me.
He was so adorable.  I loved that he just jumped on me.  Our little tour guide gave this monkey what looked like Peanut Butter Cookies.  I'm not sure what treat this cute monkey got.  But he was so friendly.  He wasn't in a hurray to get off either. 

Jeremy put his arm out and this Capuchin just walked over to Jeremy. So much fun.
We must have stayed here holding this guy for about 15-20 minutes. 
We got to see some Toucans
The next monkey we got to hold was a Blood Howler.  This was a little guy. He was only about 18 months old. The blood howler is actually the largest monkey in Honduras. Jeremy, got to hold him first. He just kind of snuggled in on you.  He seemed a little more nervous than the Capuchin.

I got to hold him for like 20 minutes.  He just snuggles right up to me.  They do not have super soft fur it is really course.
  But this little guy loved snuggling right up to me. He must have felt super safe.  He was super cute.

This was in the center of the Zoo.  We think it was a statue of the King? Maybe?

We next got to hold a Scarlet Macaw. It is the Honduras National Bird. This Macaw would say Hola.  He liked to talk.  Adorable. 

He kept talking and kept getting treats.  So cute. 

Look at this Toucan bill it looks like teeth.
I love God's creations. 

The next little guy we got to hold was a Kinkajou.
He was heavy.  His fur was  a little softer than the Monkeys. But it was still course. 

I love his little tongue.  They are also called Honey Bears.
They use their long skinny tongues to slurp up the honey for the hive.  And also use their tongue to eat termites.

Look, it's hanging upside down from its tail.  This Kinkajou was so fun to play with.
They are nocturnal so it was cool he was awake and willing to play with us. 
Our next adventure was in the Butterfly house.  Wow! They had a lot of different kinds of butterflies.
We learned that they smash the papaya or Mango and mix it with beer.  So interesting.

The weather and fruit attracts a lot of mosquitos.
The butterfly enclosure has several humming birds because they eat the mosquitoes.
They were so beautiful.  Jeremy took this awesome picture.  The humming bird was actually perched. Beautiful!
We got to see a lot of catapillars.  I do not know what kind they are.
Every morning the workers go around the enclosure and pick up all the eggs and put
them in a container.
When the egg hatches they put the caterpillar on the leaf. This one has spikes all the way around its body.

This Caterpillar has three horns.  It's kind of a Triceratops caterpillar. 


Our Guide showed us several  cocoons.  He would hold them poke and prod them. Poor cocoon.
He thought it was so cool how the cocoon would move.
I just kept wishing he would stop touching them.  He would pick up and hold the caterpillars and butterflies too.
I guess I was taught if you touch them they die.  Clearly not in Honduras.  They are super Butterflies.

Beautiful.  Our guide picked this one up and has him spread his wings.  He is like you want a picture?
No, I do not a picture of you holding him.  I want to see him in his natural state.
Super nice that he was so accommodating for my pictures.  I guess :-)

There were a few different species on this flower.
After we spent some time admiring the butterflies.  We left Mayan Eden.
It was cool to walk up and our driver was there waiting for us.
The car was nice and cool.  This was definitely the way to explore Honduras.


We continued on our tour of the city.  Jer loved this wall that was lined with conch shells. 

This was one of my favorite beaches.  Look how clear the water is,

Honduras, is just beautiful.  It kept reminding Jeremy and I of Hawaii.

Look at all the coconuts. 




One of the last spots our tour guide took us was to the Light house.  It was not open when we stopped.
It would have been fun to go up to the top.

This was the view from the Light house.

This is the view from the light house.
Kayden had a great time with his Aunt Britany.  They went shopping on the pier and swam on the ship.
Brooklyn, went shopping with Grandma & Grandpa.  I do not have any pictures.  I snagged this one from Brit. :-)
The Headliner Show tonight was Michael James.  He was an amazing Juggler and had some pretty hilarious antics.
I was kind of shocked his antics were worse than the Late Night Show.  He did some amazing stunts. 

0 comments: