Bastianclan

Bastianclan

Monday, September 24, 2012

The Life of an Army Family.

 
Jeremy just came down on assignment to Korea. He is suppose to serve a one year "Hardship Tour". We are trying to get command sponsored meaning - the family can go with him. If we get command sponsored, we will be stationed in Korea for three years. Let me tell you the process of getting command sponsored. First, everyone has to get current medical physicals for EFMP (Exceptional Family Member Program)Screening. Then, you send your physicals along with DA Form 4787, DA Form 7246, DA Form 5121 to your loosing stations. Which for us is Ft. Knox because Jeremy is a recruiter. ****That adds another level of craziness****. At the losing station, they fill out DA 5888. Then, your packet goes to their doctors to clear you of any Real big medical problems. Korea has medical facilities but not for everything. After you have been cleared of any big Medical issues, your packet is sent to Yongsan Korea headquarters where they verify that your packet is complete - having all required documents and forms. If there were problems, they send it back to your losing station. If everything is correct, you get a Control #. This number will allow you to track your packet through the process. Then, your packet goes to G-1 (Personnel) where they will forward it to your gaining unit for approval. We are going to the 1SIG BDE. They will then send the packet to the second EFMP screening to make sure they have the doctors and facilities to help your family. After they approve your packet, it is then sent to the DOD Schools to see if they have room for your school age children. After that approval, you then go to housing to determine if they have government quarters available. After that has been approved, your packet is returned to Yongson where it will be processed and orders will be amended to Command Sponsored with Concurrent travel. That is a long crazy process. Our packet has been at the loosing station since Sept.19th today is Sept 24th. Boo.   
 
****The next fun adventure**** Jeremy put in for the Physician Assistant Program.  We have been waiting for results for a long time.  They were  finally released last Friday Sept 21.  Jeremy made the list as an "Alternate".  This is good and bad. Good because he made the list.  Yeah!! There were people that did not make the list.  Bad, because we do not know if we are going to be attending PA school which would be in San Antonio, TX or going to Korea?  There were 131 seats for this year 2012 class. 89 of those seats have something missing.  If the selected person does not submit the correct paper work, the board will open the slot to one of the Alternates.  There are 146 Alternates.  It all depends on what Jeremy's seqence number is.  We of course do not know his Sequence number.  The Board will let Jeremy know by Dec 31st if he has a school date.  It is possible that we ship our car and house-hold goods to Korea and then the Board send Jermey to TX.  Oh the fun!!!Jeremy has a medical waiver because of his Spine Surgery. Go here for that story. We have to get an MRI and a Current Ortho or Neurosurgeon note.  So I have been on the phone all morning trying to set up those appointments.  Just to add a little adventure aka stress, Jeremy leaves for SLC or E-7 school Oct 20th.  So, No pressure right?
So to sum up. Life has been a little  a lot stressful.  We have been military for 14 years 10 of them Active Duty.  This has been hands down the hardest move.  Just moving is stressful then you add the element of Recruiting and not knowing if we will be going to Korea with Jeremy or be apart for a year.  Jer in Korea and the kids and I living in Vernal with Jeremy's Parents.  Or will Jeremy be given a school date for the PA program and we move to San Antonio TX while Jeremy attends PA School?  Not to mention having to do the entire move without an "Army Base" (We do not have all the resources and help because of where we live.) On top of all of this Jeremy leaves for SLC E-7 school headed back to Ft. Gordon from the middle of October to the end of November.  He is going to miss Kayden's Birthday, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. Then he will come home Dec 1st and we will pack up and move.  ***Somewhere***.  It's all  CRAZY!!!  I think I am going CRAZY!!!  I have had a couple melt downs.  Really!  Have you heard the song 'Just let me Cry"  by Hilary Weeks? It kind of sums up my melt down. And I quote, "Just let me cry, I know it's hard to see but the pain I feel isn't going away today so just let me cry until every tear has fallen don't ask when and don't ask why just let me cry." Sometime you just need a good cry.  And it's okay.  I have been praying so hard to know what is the best path for our family.  What the Lord would have us do.  I have not received an answer, yet.  I have not been told what the Lord would have us do.  But I know he has a plan and he loves us.  I know that when we turn our life over to our Heavenly Father it is then that He can bless our lives.  I have had to surrender my will to the Lord's.  It has been really hard because I am a planner.  It's hard to sit back 2 1/2 half months not knowing where we are going or how it's going to work.  But, I do have faith that with God all things are possible. Even going to Korea with Jeremy or getting in the PA program.  And I do know things will work out the way the Lord wants them too.  Even if we are apart for a year.  I want you all to know that no matter how hard your life is or your trials; keep the Lord close. Pray, study your scriptures and listen.  The Lord will talk with you and He will let you know what He will have you do.  Remember, when we do it the Lords way, it doesn't turn out how we thought it would; it turns out better.  We all have trials this is how we become teachable. I want you to know I love and trust our Heavenly Father.  I am here to tell you all will be okay.

2 comments:

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

Tina, WOW! What an amazing unknown adventure you get to take. I love your example of a positive attitude. I know you'll do well wherever the Lord sends you and your family.
Just letting you know we are thinking of you, praying for you, and missing you too!

Hannah said...

That all sounds crazy. We are in San Antonio so if PA school works out we can help you on this end. We have 2 friends in PA school right now and I am sure they could answer any questions if you have any. Good luck!