Bastianclan

Bastianclan

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Midnight Sun

Okay Twilight fans. I really need to know what everyone feels about Stephanie Myers decision on holding off the publication of Midnight Sun indefinitely? I understand the 12 chapters were taken and distributed on the Internet illegally. They were not finished and were only a draft. I understand that as a writer you have the right to say when the public can view/read the material. I understand where she is coming from, and I understand that she has been hurt and is having a hard time trusting. But I find it hard to believe that an author would just stop writing because she was upset and offend. Stephanie's first books sold more than 5 Million copies in America and spent a total of 143 weeks on the new york times best seller list. But She is teaching us all a lesson on Copyright. In my opinion she is just loosing fans. Why punish her fans? She needs to be going after the person who put the 12 chapter on the Internet illegally. She is not the first author that has had material posted illegally or early. Who is going to run out and buy her next book? or will she ever write again?

For the story if you have not read it got to Stephanie Myers website
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

Here is the top story if you would like more info
http://www.topnews.in/usa/stephenie-meyer-postpones-release-her-novel-midnight-sun-indefinitely-21174

I can't wait to hear everyone opinion.
Tina

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am deeply saddend by Stephanie Meyers decision to postpone the publishing of Midnight Sun indefinately. On her website she has made available the 12 chapters that were leaked to the internet. I spent yesterday reading the 12 chapters and it didn't suffice my pathetic drug addiction to the Twilight Saga.
I truly believe that this was Stephanie's most beautiful writing so far! Every little detail that Stephanie brought into this book is a treasure!! I know I am hopelessly in love with the Twilight Saga, but I encourrage you to read the 12 chapters and then write stephanie out of loving kindness not anger and rage and let her know how you feel!!

Bastianclan said...

You know I have no desire to read the 12 chapters and then be left hanging. I do however, love Twilight I'm just frustrated with they way she is handling the situation.

Stephanie said...

I too am sad by the news. Because of it, I have refused to read the 12 chapters that were leaked. Why wet my appetite if there will be no more. I agree though that the fans shouldn't be punished. Hopefully, when Stephenie Meyers gets over her disappointment she will come to realize that "Midnight Sun" has GREAT potential and she'll make it the best that she can, and finish it! (For the Fans!)

Bastianclan said...

Exactly Stephanie I really hope she will see the potentiial in Midnight Sun and finish it for the FANS!!!

Anonymous said...

I have read a couple of articles that said she was never sure if she was going to publish the whole book. Did anyone else read those articles?
If she is punishing fans I think it is stupid why hurt your fan base.
I am sad but I liked where the books ended and was worried that it may have seemed forced or not as good as the others.

Anonymous said...

Well I feel you are short changing yourselves if you refuse to read the 12 chapters. A lot was revealed and new light was shed on so many aspects of Twilight.... I mean the 12 chapters were 267 pages so it's not like you are reading a teaser chapter and then left hanging.

As for what Brittany asked; on Stephanie Meyers official website she wrote that at first she didn't plan to publish Midnight Sun because she wasn't sure if it was going to become anything worth publishing; however it blew up once she started writing and took on a life of its own. So was in the process of finishing it and it was supposed to be released sometime in 2009.

I know that the fans are suffering for her decision, but I can understand where she is coming from. Have any of you ever come up with a great idea and then it was stolen? Did you think to yourself, what is the point? I have been in that situation before and threw in the towel because it simply wasn't worth it anymore. The transcrpts that were leaked were HUGE 267 pages?? That is more than half of Twilight.

Crystal said...

I'm not a fan of hers, but I did read the books. And I think she needs to pull back and think like a grown up for a minute not like a hurt 5 year old. JKR had stuff leak, she didn't stop writing harry potter.

Besides, SMeyer says she knows who leaked it. She gave out certain copies...she wants to cry about it when it's basically her fault?

I think you are right. I think this will just alienate her fans.

BTW I loved those party hats you and brandi had on at your little party. ;)

Bastianclan said...

I am not saying she shouldn't be hurt or offended I am saying she shouldn't take it out on her fans. We all looked forward to Edwards side in Midnight Sun. I think she is going about this the wrong way. I think she need to sue who took her trust and continue writing the book. IF you fall of a horse you need to get back on. As for the 12 chapters it's still not the whole book and you will be left wanting more. More that will never come.

Thanks to everyone that shared your opinion this is so fun.

Anonymous said...

I do agree that she should sue, and she probably has begun that process.... at least that has been implied. In that case, just as JK Rowling did, the publishing got pushed back. I know that litigation can take years and so this may be the case, and that may be why she said indefinately, because with the legal system there is no telling when she may have a green flag once again. I also encourrage you guys to get your info from a reliable source. There is a lot of specultaion and bashers out there right now adding a bunch of bull to the story. The manuscripts that did leave her posession were for the purposes of the movie Twilight; which has integrated the complete Midnight Sun story into the movie. Stphanie was confident that the manuscript was safe and it got into the wrong hands..... the rest is history. Bummer for all of you who are angry about this. Remember it takes a while to bounce back from a betrayal, you don't get violated and then go on living your life the next day as if nothing has happened.

Stephanie said...

I just want to clarify about my refusal to read the 12 chapters. S.Meyers on her website said she would make it available, but that she wishes that her fans would not read them because they are full of typos and errors and stuff. I am just honoring her wishes. I now it would be awesome. I read the first chapter and loved it, but I am willing to wait for the final book. I think it will happen! Besides, I'm not in the mood to obsess over it right now!