Thanks to Michelle Jensen a dear friend from Korea, who shared her awesome tradition of homemade doughnuts for Fastnacht. This is her story she gave it to me. I wanted to continue her tradition so with her permission and blessing here is her story and her recipe.
"Fastnacht day is what the Pennsylvania Dutch call Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras. Fastnacht translates to fast night in English. It is the day before Lent begins where usually people would eat lots of treats before giving them up. Traditionally, fasnachts are made to use up lard, sugar, butter, eggs and other rich foods in a house before the austere diet of Lent begins. I remember in high schools several friends bringing Fastnachts (spudnuts) to school to share, they were not Amish but their protestant church celebrated. In 2009, I decided I wanted to make fastnachts but it isn't worth it just for my family so I opened it up to my friends and the tradition began. We had maybe 25 people that year and celebrated on fastnacht day. It was so fun and our friends loved it. And we have had a party ever since. Every year it has gotten bigger and better. It has been a fun way to bring back memories of growing up in Pennsylvania."
Fastnachts aka Spudnuts Donuts
by Michelle Jenson ( a couple notes/changes from Tina)
50 regular size doughnuts. 150 Hot Dots. Tina's Favorite.
2 cups Mashed Potatoes(plain nothing in them you want them luke warm)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup shortening
2 tsp Salt
1 Cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons yeast dissolved in 1 Cup warm water and 1 Tbsp sugar
3 Cups scalded milk, (remember to put milk in pan turn onto medium heat and stir constantly until the bubbles start to appear on the sides and the milk gives off steam) let the milk cool to lukewarm
12-13 Cups flour
Cream shortening, sugar, salt, and potatoes together well. Add other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Let rise until double in size.approx 1 hour punch down split into four sections. roll out each section one at a time with a lightly dusted area until all the dough is cut into desired shape and size. Put doughnuts on a lightly floured countertop. (preferably close to the stove.) Let doughnuts raise another 30 min or until they are double in size. Heat oil in saucepan until it reaches 375 and fry in oil put the doughnut on a cooling rack and immediately dip in topping of your choice.
Our very first Fastnacht Doughnut Party on Sunday February 26, 2017
We had Dennis and Sarah Kinsman and their four kids, Lane & Heather Hansen and their five boys, Doug & Mitchie Brown with their four kids, Les & Rachel Ambrus and their three kids, and Jason & Stevie Frisby and their two kids.
| The trays are ready. Packing paper is awesome for catching all the excess grease. |
| The house is clean and set up for all our guests. |
| We only did the little doughnuts. I do not like doing the full size doughnuts.... I like to do just the doughnut holes, that way you can have an entire plate with all the flavors. YUMMMM |
| We printed and labeled all the bags front and back |
| First batch of Doughnut holes rising the second time. Almost time to start cooking them. |
| Our Friends ready to eat some doughnuts. Stevie created a new name for them. She called them "Hot Dots." I loved this name. Yes, they will be Hot Dots from now on. |
| More pictures of our friends. |
| Jeremy was the Frying Master.... |
| Les was a great assistant. He never left Jeremy's side So nice to have such great friends to cook and talk with you. |
|
| I made way too many doughnuts... Next year I will make half of what I made this year. Holy Smokes we had a lot left over. All the kids had already had seconds and thirds and went outside to play. We made up several plates of "Hot Dots" For some soldiers and other families that couldn't come. It really was a fun night. I didn't get any pictures of the kids making their own doughnuts. Next year... I love this tradition and can't wait for next year. |
Grandma Clements Donut Recipe
3-4 Cups flour
1 Tablespoon yeast mixed with 1/3 cup warm water and 1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup milk, 1/3cup sugar, and 1/4 cup shortening heated until luke warm
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
add half flour with milk mixture, beat, add yeast mix, and egg beat add mashed potatoes beat, add rest of flour. I add enough flour to make a soft dough ,a little sticky. I turn out the dough and knead until smooth and not so sticky. When I double the recipe I don't' double the ggs just everything else. Let rise and cut out, let rise again then fry.
0 comments:
Post a Comment