Monday morning, August 6, Kayden and I got up and had a yummy breakfast. We had a fun adventure planned. I had to get a new Military ID because mine was expired. So Kayden and I headed out the door around 10am to travel 2 hours to Yakima, WA. About 20 minutes into the drive Kayden told me his tummy hurt. He said he was cramping. I thought he needed to make a BM. So I stopped at the next rest stop. Kayden said his tummy was a little better, but not much. I gave him 2 tylenol to help with the pain. We continued on our way. We got to Yakima Training Center around 12:15pm. Went inside to get my ID and just as we were ready to take my picture the computers went down. It took about 30 minutes to fix them. Kayden was really uncomfortable. Lots and lots of cramping. I suggested he go to the bathroom again. We finally got finished with my ID card. We went back to the car and I got out the yummy picnic lunch we had packed. I had Kayden eat some. He didn't want to eat. He was now feeling nauseated. His pain was a 5-6/10. I was like okay lets head home. We were going to do some other things in Yakima but decided we better get him home. Kayden was pretty miserable all the way home. He was just laying down as best as he could in the car with his seat belt on. He was just kind of out of it. When we got home, he curled up on the couch and said his pain was now an 8/10. I gave him some Ibuprofen and called his Doctor. (Dr. Milnes) to see if he had any openings this afternoon. I thought it could possibly be appendicitis but wasn't' sure because the only sign Kayden had was the pain on his right side and the nausea. He had not thrown up and did not have a fever. They told us to get him down to the ER. So off to Central Washington Hospital we go. We got to the hospital around 3:30pm the hospital was kind of full. The waiting room was full of people. They took Kayden's vitals and told us to have a seat in the waiting room. I was like humm they must not think this is too bad they are making us wait. I have always gone straight back to a room. So I was doubting the appendicitis. We waited for about an hour and half. Kayden was still miserable. He was just laying on my lap and moaning. He was in a lot of pain. There was this guy sitting across from us and kept asking Kayden questions and making comments, "Man, you don't look so good." "What's wrong?" Kayden told him his tummy hurt a lot. The guy said, "Don't you know you are suppose to get sick during school not during the Summer? This made Kayden smile. This guy was so sweet and really helped take Kayden's mind off all the pain. The nurse came out and told Kayden they needed to take his vitals again. When Kayden stood up, he turned white and weak in the knees. They didn't even have a wheel chair for kayden let a lone a bed. His vitals were off the charts. He was so pale and he felt like he was going to throw up. The immidetly started an IV right there in the middle of the ER waiting room they also took 4 vials of blood. Gave Kayden some Zophran for nausia. I asked if Kayden could get some pain meds. They said that they would have to talk to the DR. The ultrasound tech came to get Kayden with her own wheel chair to take Kayden to ultrasound. She helped Kayden get on the bed and Kayden was wincing he was still in so much pain. She started to push the probe on his belly and he was asking her to please stop touching. I asked her if there was anyway she could wait until he had some pain meds? She said it helps her know what hurts. The ER Doctor came into the ultrasound room and did a little exam and said he would bet money Kayden had appendicitis. Sure enough the ultrasound Tech and Dr. were like Yep there it is. Then the Radioligist came in and said what the Tech and ER Doctor said. Yes, indeed he had appendicitis. So the Doctor said that the surgeon would be coming to talk to us. The ultrasound tech took us back to the ER in the bed Kayden was in because they still didn't have any beds or rooms availiable. So they put Kayden in the hall and put a curtain around him. So he were are in the middle of the ER room. CRAZY!!! Dr. Thomas R. Tuszynski came and talked to Kayden. He was the General surgen called to take on Kayden's case. He had a student Dr with him. (I cant' remember her name?) they both examined Kayden and asked a lot of questions. Dr. Tusznski said they were going to bump some surgeries to get Kayden in ASAP. He had to make a couple phone calls. Turns out Kayden would be having surgery in about 1 1/2 hours. They gave Kayden some morphine to help with the pain then sent us up to our room on the second floor. We were answering a bunch of questions. They were trying to get a urine sample for Kayden because the ER said they had collected one when they indeed had not. Well the problem was Kayden was in so much pain 12/10 he was having a hard time breathing and he kept saying his lungs hurt. There was no way he was moving let alone peeing; the pain continued to get worse and worse. At this point, I crawled into bed with Kayden to hold him as he was crying. I have never witnessed my child in so much pain and it was unbearable. It really was so horrible. I was praying that I could take away Kayden's pain. I asked Jeremy to give Kayden a father's blessing. It was so nice to have Jeremy there and the power of the priesthood filled Kayden's hospital room. Kayden was able to calm down a little and I just continued to hold him and Jeremy said an amazing blessing of comfort, healing, and blessing the Doctor about to operate on Kayden. When the blessing was over, we only had to wait 5 more minutes then they wheeled Kayden and I down to the Operating Room. The guy took us the long way so we could stay together a little longer. He didn't want to pass any red lines. That was super nice. So we got to stay with Kayden until the very last moment. Kayden's surgery was only 45 minutes. Dr. Tuszynski was able to do it laperscopic and everything went better then we could have ever hoped. Kayden spent the night in the hospital and was dischared Tuesday around 11am. Kayden has done so well recovering. He only took two doses of Narcotics. He has managed the pain with tylenol and Ibuprofen. He is a trooper and is healing well. Thank you to all who prayed, called, and visited Kayden. We love you all so much. Thanks to our Heavenly Father who blessed us with the healing power and strength to make it through this trial. Kayden we love you so much and we are so happy you are healing and doing so much better. I hope we never have to experience that pain again.
*Note the following pictures were taken with my phone. They are not the best quality. And all of them have Kayden's approval. He picked the ones he wanted on the blog.*
 |
| Kayden in the ER Waiting to see his surgeon Dr. Tuszynski |
 |
| Kayden right after Surgery. Yes, I would say he looks sleepy!!! |
 |
| Kayden doing his breathing treatment. Have to make sure our lungs are clear. |
 |
| It was really nice Kayden asked Dr. Tuszynski if he would take a picture. Dr. Tusynski said he would do his best to remember. Sometimes they are in a hurray and forget to take a picture. But Dr. Tuszynski not only took one but two pictures. Here is the Angry Appendix. It's suppose to be half that size and pink (Not RED and Big like that) | |
 |
| Sleep tight Kayden. (At least one of us got sleep) |
 |
| Here are the three little incisions. The one by the belly button is a bit bigger than the other two. |
 |
| Kayden loved pushing the "NURSE" button. He thought that was great. They helped him with everything. When we came home from the hospital Kayden said, Hey, Mom I need my nurse button back." LOL |
 |
| Kayden up and about. He has been walking had breakfast and going to the bathroom by himself. They will be letting us go in a couple hours. YEAH!!!! |
 |
| Kayden is home and doing great!!!!! |
2 comments:
We feel like we know Kayden so much better know that we have seen his guts!
Not a very fun experience, sounds way more painful than we would like to experience. On the upside, he has some great scars to show later on. Way to go Kayden!
Post a Comment